When it comes routine maintenance for your vehicle, having your oil changed is one of the most important and most inexpensive services. To save you time and money down the road, it is important to change the oil in your vehicle. Oil helps keep your engine lubricated to make sure all parts are working efficiently together. It also helps draw heat away from the hard-working engine, preventing carbon from building up.
As the oil gets heated, it breaks down and becomes less effective to keep parts lubed. Without working properly as a lubricant, these parts may rub together and wear out. Having your oil changed regularly will help maintain the efficiency of your vehicle.
By keeping up with your oil changes, you can avoid costly repairs down the road. Buildup may occur in the engine or the parts and could damage the engine and even prevent the engine from working entirely. Save yourself time, money, and frustrations by having your oil changed routinely.
To find the specific time frame to change the oil and oil filter in your vehicle, check the owner’s manual. Most suggest every three months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, this all depends on how you drive, for example city versus highway driving.
If you are in need of an oil change, bring your vehicle into Huntington Center Gulf serving the Shelton, CT area. Our techs will get your vehicle in and out. Call us today.
Instead of trying to change your vehicle's oil yourself, let our experts help you! However, if you want to do it yourself, take the steps below.
- Find the drain plug. Spread out newspapers and put the oil pan on top. Loosen drain plug counterclockwise. Removed the plug and let the old oil drain out.
- When the oil slows to a drip, replace the plug by hand and then tighten clockwise.
- Loosen oil filter by turning it counterclockwise and remove by hand. Apply a little oil to the new gasket and then install.
- Loosen oil cap under hood of vehicle. With a funnel, pour in new oil and replace the cap. Start your vehicle to allow the new oil to circulate through and then check the oil.
- Clean up any spills. Dispose of old motor oil properly.